Tuesday, July 27, 2010

ERROR! ERROR!

Todays batch went awry. Sad I know, but fear not! I've recreated the batch and will have a thorough report tomorrow. I can, however, highlight the terrible things that happen when a batch does go wrong.

As I outlined yesterday, I used the Finca Los Mangos and Sumatra Mandheling beans. The previous batch was the El Salvador Cerro Las Ranas. On its own, the Las Ranas is a really crisp and clean coffee. Hot, it goes down smooth with a really unobtrusive, but distinctly Central American spice complimented by a great tropical undertone. That batch was added to yesterdays to create a flop. A muddled, indistinguishable Starbucks like conconction which begs to be forgotten. I imagine it's much like adding ice to some home brewed auto drip coffee after 4 hours on the counter.

This leads me to the moral. Learn from your brewing mistakes! Seriously! If that espresso shot comes out at 19 seconds looking like an aerial view of Cameron Diaz on the beach dump it out, adjust your grind, and pull another. The same goes with bad batches of iced and hot coffees. Don't serve shit for the sake of overhead or your profit and loss margins. You can go to any diner or local italian restaurant for terribly extracted espresso or shitty, watery coffee.

So, until tomorrow, dry your portafilter and watch for channeling. Cameron Diaz should stay on the beach and out of your demitasse.

1 comment:

  1. If this blog was only about malt liquor...I'd love it that much more!

    ReplyDelete