Saturday, July 24, 2010

Hi.

So this is my first attempt at blogging. As my profile says, I've been working in coffee for a few years now. I have spent a large chunk of that time training and refining my pallet as well as learning to make the best damn cappuccino in New Haven. Texturing milk is not a difficult task. It seems to me that there tends to be too much focus on pouring the perfect tulip rather than understanding what variables come into play when dialing in the perfect shot to go along with that milk. In doing so I have begun to play with different types of brews and different methods of brewing.

Iced coffee is something that most people write off because it is often too bitter or weak or it hasn't the body comparable to a hot single serving pour over. The Yama cold brew towers have an amazing amount of variables that you can play with. Rather than throwing the same old iced blend in and letting it go, I've begun to experiment. For those of you that aren't familiar with this brewing method check this link.

The cold brew method that I use is not the one outlined on most sites. Rather than a 3 hour brew I allow it to go much longer. I've found that 8 to 10 hours yields a really strong, really fully bodied coffee. I grind 10 oz. of coffee on a french press setting through a bulk grinder. I use cold water rather than a water/ice combination and I allow 1 drip every 3 seconds. Trust me. If the coffee is fresh, within a week of its roast date, it will taste amazing.

My initial theory was that there is an obvious difference in extractions between different levels in the grounds so why not create different layers based on their roast and flavor profiles. The layers would extract differently, thus creating a very specific flavor profile when blended. At this point I've been through at least 5 different trials. I am quite fond of Ethiopian coffees, specifically a naturally processed bean from the Sidamo region. Most of these trials have incorporated the Sidamo in some way. The most successful and flavorful batch was a combination of a Costa Rica El Alto C.O.E finalist and the Sidamo. The ratio was 70% El Alto and 30% Sidamo. The first layer was 35% El Alto, the middle layer30% Sidamo, and the top 35% El Alto. The result was a full bodied coffee full of fruity tones throughout, with a nice bit of chocolate to finish. The thing that makes the cold brew really stand out is the finish. It finishes like a hot coffee. Not bitter, not harsh, just coffee.

As the days go by I'll be adding more test batches and results. Most will be much less long winded. Thanks for reading. Dry your portafilters.

No comments:

Post a Comment